Sunday 4 March 2012

Voyager Video Shoot

So a couple of days ago I went to the Voyager video shoot and well, 'twas fairly epic. I walked into the pub got myself a drink and seconds later heard, yelled from the stage in style that reminded me off sex bob-omb, "Dead Set Radio". So I figured I should movemy ass to the stage and im glad i did. The band was what one might call pop metal, metal for the kids really and while at first this seemed like a deterrent after not too long I didnt seem to mind. At first the music was average with nothing that made me go "wow" but from the moment i started to wathc this band i was captured by the lead singer, a small blonde girl with an incredible stage persona. Her presence reminded me of a yound Cherri Curry. She was kind of timid but still had this real sex apeal about her. Her vocals reminded me of a mix between Hayley Williams of Paramore and Patricia Day of Horrorpops. Needless to say i was thoroughly impressed her and just started to watch and enjoy the show while the band still did nothing for me. It wasn't until almost the very end that the band also impressed me with each member giving a solo it was at this point i really thought "shit! These guys can play". Unfortunately this was, as i said, almost at the end of the set and i found that once i finally got into them the set ended. Alas this is the problem with having the opening slot  at a gig.
Dead Set Radio
Temp tattoo by DSR support crew
what i then woke up with on my face


The next band, by the name of Laws of Attraction, I cant really say much about. They reminded me of a mix of Slipknot and Sugar Army, which basically boiled down to Slipknot but a bit gayer. I didn't find this band particularly bad I dare say they were even listeneable, all but for one thing. The thing that drove me insane about thit band is every now and then, for no apparent reason and with no lyrics the bassist would just scream into the microphone. This can be good to make the music heavier but only when it fits into the song, this screaming did not. ultimately I found this band quite disapointing.

Laws of Attraction
Next up were Empires Laid Waste. Now not only do Empires play music that makes you want to start a fist fight with a grizzly bear (and feel you can win), frontman Pete has an excellent repore with the audience. He talks to the crowd as if they were his mates and in the end you feel like you are. But the important thing is the music is great. It's fast, loud and it's ballsy. Empires is the kind of band that goes up on stage to a) play for there fans and b) have a good time and this transfers into there live show. When they enjoy themselves you cant help but enjoy yourself too. The main thing I can say is it was a fucking awesome set.

Empired Laid Waste
Empires vocalist Pete
Finally Voyager took to the stage and I must say its the best show ive seen all year. I found myself at the front og the stage directly in front guitarist Scott and his playing blew me away. It was fast it was precise and it sounded incredible. But the reason we were all there was to make a music video. So when the band announced they were playing Seize The Day everyone pulled out there smart phones and started recording. I recorded for a while untill my friend was nice enough to take over for me so i could lose my shit in the pit and trust me when I say I did just that. The amusing thing was tho every time I took a small break from headbanging, to watch the band and look at the crowd, I'd notice somebodies camera on me. I'll be honest it made me feel like a champ. The one thing i always look forward to at a Voyager gig tho, is there medleys and this time was the best one ive seen starting with What Is Love moving onto Silverchair's Freak then the Pulp Fiction theme, Blind by Korn, and then an amazing metal rendition of Whitney Houstons I Wanna Dance With Somebody, then breathe then just a snippet of Voyager own I Am The Revolution. Like i said it was the best ive seen them do, but its all well and goos for me to tell you all about to trully understand it's greatness you'll have to get of your ass and go to a voyager gig. After the other night thats something i couldn't more highly recomend. The show just blew me away and i just lost my shit. There was such energy in the crowd that even my inner punk came out and i couldnt help but pump my fists.
Voyager

Scott of Voyager shredding away

All in all it was an awesome night with a little something for every metal fan and the only words I'm left with now are; this is why you need to support local music because bands will come along that blow your mind and if you don't go out and support them they may not be given the chance they need so if ever given the chance i strongly reccomend anyone reading this should go see Dead Set Radio, Empires Laid Waste or Voyager. You wont regret it.

So until next time, metal on my friends.
The Oompa Loompa

No comments:

Post a Comment